Organic Whole Cloves by Hatton Hill Organic. Organically grown, harvested and dried in India. Packed in the UK.
Cloves are native to Indonesia's fabled Spice Islands, although these days they're grown in a number of tropical countries. They're flower buds that are harvested before they blossom and then dried. Cloves were so sought after during colonial times that in 1667, after the Second Anglo-Dutch War, Britain ceded the islands to the Netherlands in exchange for a settlement then named New Amsterdam – better known today as Manhattan.
Our organic whole cloves have a pungent warmth and an intense flavor and aroma that's in a similar vein to nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Ground up, cloves are a key ingredient in such famous spice blends as Chinese five-spice powder, garam masala and American pumpkin pie spice.
Cloves are a terrific addition to meat and vegetable dishes (use them to stud Christmas ham or roasted vegetables such as pumpkin and squash, for example), fruit preparations, baked goods, desserts, and hot and cold drinks. Both whole and ground up, they're used to add flavour to sauces (they're a key ingredient in classic béchamel sauce), soups and rice dishes (particularly in Indian cuisine – think curries, biryanis and pilafs), and they add a wonderfully warming note to mulled wine and cider, to iced teas, and to chai, an aromatic milky tea that's a staple in India.
Organic ✓ Vegetarian ✓ Vegan ✓
Certified as organic by the UK’s Soil Association (licence no. DA22427).
Packed on premises that handle celery, cereals containing gluten, mustard, peanuts, sesame, soybeans, sulphur dioxide and sulphites, and tree nuts (such as almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, pecans, pistachios and macadamias).
Please check our Delivery Terms and Conditions as developments in the Covid-19 outbreak continue to affect most businesses.
Orders for delivery to mainland UK addresses:
• Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we have had to make temporary changes to our stocking and delivery arrangements.
• Our next-day delivery option has been temporarily suspended.
• We have had to put in place certain measures to ensure that we are able to handle the increase in demand for deliveries that Covid-19 has caused, while also delivering orders to our customers in a timely manner.
We are working hard with our supply partners to ensure that there are no stock shortages and that we remain able to offer our entire product range without compromising on quality.
Orders costing more than £50 are shipped free of charge (excluding VAT). Our free deliveries normally take up to seven working days to dispatch.
Shipping on orders costing less than £50 is charged according to the option selected:
• Mainland UK & Scotland (excluding Highland & Islands): Royal Mail / FedEx /DPD / DHL standard delivery (2-4 working days): Flat fee of £3.99.
• Other parts of the UK / international: Please click here