Bicarbonate of Soda by Hatton Hill. Produced in Turkey. Packed in the UK.
Not to be confused with baking powder (an experience doubtless shared by plenty of non-bakers!), bicarbonate of soda, or baking soda, is used to raise soda bread and full-flavored cakes such as gingerbread, fruit cake, chocolate cake and carrot cake. It's about four times as strong as baking powder, and it requires an acid (as well as moisture) to activate it, so it's often combined with cream of tartar, yogurt, buttermilk or milk.
USES: Apart from baking, bicarbonate of soda is an indispensable home essential that boasts a number of very practical uses. Being a mild abrasive, it's great for cleaning; start with the kitchen sink and go from there – ovens, taps, shower stalls and bathtubs are all fair game! According to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, it's also good for removing pesticide and chemical residue from fruit and vegetables; just soak them in water and a few teaspoons of baking soda, then rinse them with fresh water. Pop some baking soda in an open container in your fridge to get rid of any unwanted odours. And sprinkle some into your washing machine to give your laundry detergent a deodorising boost. Baking soda's uses are too numerous to list here, but if you know any other ways this versatile and inexpensive home essential can help around the house, be sure to let us know!
Allergen information: Packed on premises that handle nuts, seeds, cereals, soya and products containing gluten.
Please check our Delivery Terms and Conditions as developments in the Covid-19 outbreak continue to affect most businesses.
Orders for delivery to mainland UK addresses:
• Due to the coronavirus outbreak, we have had to make temporary changes to our stocking and delivery arrangements.
• Our next-day delivery option has been temporarily suspended.
• We have had to put in place certain measures to ensure that we are able to handle the increase in demand for deliveries that Covid-19 has caused, while also delivering orders to our customers in a timely manner.
We are working hard with our supply partners to ensure that there are no stock shortages and that we remain able to offer our entire product range without compromising on quality.
Orders costing more than £50 are shipped free of charge (excluding VAT). Our free deliveries normally take up to seven working days to dispatch.
Shipping on orders costing less than £50 is charged according to the option selected:
• Mainland UK & Scotland (excluding Highland & Islands): Royal Mail / FedEx / DHL standard delivery (3-5 working days): Flat fee of £3.99.
• Other parts of the UK / international: Please click here